Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Final Christmas Memory

I know the holiday season has past but I wanted to complete the Christmas Meme that Cheryl tagged me with last week. Enjoy!

01. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Both. If it is a gift for a child I absolutely use wrapping paper but all other gifts are given in festive bags. I am, hands down, the worst gift wrapper (plus I hate the act). Bags just look so much nicer than my mangled attempt at wrapping a gift. We joked this year that I am terrible at wrapping and baking which means that I suck at Christmas. But I am excellent when it comes to holiday spirit!



02. Real tree or artifical?
Growing up we always had a real tree. It was a fun family trip to the tree farm to cut down our own. Often it was just Dad, my brother, and I trekking out into the cold while Mom was at work. My husband grew up with an artifical tree and because of his allergies we have also put up an artifical tree. Until 2 years ago we used a little tree that had belonged to my great-grandparents. Kris complained about how difficult it was to put up and how scrawny it looked but once the decorations were on it always looked so beautiful.

03. When do you put up a tree?
The rule at our house is that the tree does not go up until after December 1st.

04. When do you take down the tree?
I always wanted the tree to stay up until my birthday on January 11. My parents indulged this wish but since we put the tree up earlier than my parents always did I am ready for it to come down right after New Year's Day.

05. Do you like eggnog?
Yum! Especially with a little spirits :)



06. Favorite gift as a child?
I begged and begged for a cabbage patch doll. My mother thought the were too expensive and ugly so I never received one. I did, however; receive a doll I lovingly named Katie. Katie traveled everywhere with me.

07. Hardest person to buy for?
It is always difficult to purchase a gift for my dad that he will actually use or wear. It is not that he doesn't appreciate the gift but many times it will go unused.

08. Easiest person to buy for?
Kris, my sweet husband, is so easy to buy for. Forget the fact that he constantly drops hints but no matter how small the gesture he is truly excited to receive anything at all.



09. Do you have a Nativity scene?
Yes. I searched for a very long time to find a Nativity that fit my sensibilities. After our tree my Willow Tree Nativity is my favorite Christmas decor.

10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
Oh, I have received some gaudy tree ornaments that were just too much!

11. Favorite Christmas movie?
I love White Christmas, The Bishops Wife, It's a Wonderful Life, A Charlie Brown Christmas, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the cartoon NOT Jim Carrey), and Elf.



12. Favorite Christmas song?
I need my Christmas songs to be traditional and classic. Give me Bing, Frank, and Nat King Cole. Hands down my very favorite is The Christmas Song by Nat King Cole. Instantly I am transported back to my great-grandparents home with a crackling fire, the smell of oranges, and holiday favorites spin away on the record player.

13. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
Now that we have a child my parents travel to us. Before we would alternate between our two families. I feel very fortunate that we have been able to balance family - there have even been a couple holidays we gathered both sides together.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas gift?
Certainly but it was not the one that you gave me ;)



15. Favorite ornament or theme color?
I have many favorite ornaments but my Secret Santa this year gifted me with a wonderful Santa that he personally carved by hand. It is one of the most special gifts I have every received.

Now I am supposed to "tag" 5 friends to complete this meme but I will refrain for now since many are ready to put the holiday season to rest. If you read this and feel inspired please post a comment letting me know that you participated too!

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hey! So glad you did this. Fun to read and WOW that hand carved Santa ornament is beautiful. What a special gift to read. After reading this, I don't think you "suck at Christmas." ;)

Cat Herself said...

Great post - I love the stories AND the pictures. Whenever we wrap something that looks badly wrapped, we always sign the gift tag "from Edward Scissorhands". We use pseudonyms on our gifts all the time. DH is Homer, I'm Marge . . . or he's Ozzie and I'm Harriet . . . or if it's cooking gear I'll be Nigella . . . etc. An added bonus is that it drives my sister crazy while we're passing out gifts. (evil grin)

Lynda said...

Love the stories and the pictures ;0)

Netter said...

I'm glad you did the meme even if it was after the holiday. I think I'm part of the same meme chain - it's interesting to see everyone's answers to the same questions. Your nativity is beautiful!